I was looking into packaging Hadoop on Gentoo which had a few dependencies.
One of which is Zookeeper, a indirect dependency of Curator. The first thing I
noticed was Zookeeper depends on an older version of Netty in the org.jboss
package. Gentoo does not have this old version of Netty packaged. Rather than
package an older Netty for Zookeeper. I started updating Zookeeper code for
Netty.

But I am not familiar with Netty or Zookeeper, so in short I have no idea what
I am doing or did... I did find some documents that were very helpful in the
changes with Netty. I have done I believe most of the work ~80-90%, but still
a few things to code for newer Netty. Not to mention test the changes, and not
being familiar with Zookeeper. Not sure how I can easily test the changes to
Zookeeper usage of Netty.

I did this some time back and I have not touched it since. I rather pass on my
work rather than toss. It is not complete enough to commit to say github and
submit a PR. Not sure if I can post patches here to the list, or if there is
someone I can email or pastebin the patches to that can do something with
them. Ideally finish off my work and get Zookeeper updated for a newer Netty.

What I did not do, was to update the build system for a newer Netty. Gentoo
does not use gradle, maven, ivy, etc. I had modified the ant build.xml to
bypass ivy and just use ant with dependencies provided by portage, Gentoo's
packaging system.

Hopefully you all are receptive to updating Zookeeper to use a newer version
of Netty, and my effort thus far will be beneficial to others.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Obsidian-Studios, Inc.