Hello William,

Thank you for your interest in contributing to ZooKeeper!

In which version of ZooKeeper did you see this dependency on an old Netty
version?  My best guess is that it was some version in the ZooKeeper 3.3
line.  At that time, BookKeeper was included as a contrib module inside
ZooKeeper, and BookKeeper had this dependency in its ivy.xml:

<dependency org="org.jboss.netty" name="netty" rev="3.1.5.GA" />

This is no longer an issue in more recent ZooKeeper releases (the 3.4 and
3.5 lines).  BookKeeper has moved to its own top-level Apache project, so
patches related to its dependencies wouldn't go here in ZooKeeper.  At
this point, ZooKeeper does also use Netty itself directly, but it's a
newer version (3.7.0.Final in ZooKeeper 3.4 and 3.7.1.Final in ZooKeeper
3.5).

If the above makes sense, then I suspect there wouldn't be a need for your
patch anymore.  However, even if that's the case, thank you for offering
to donate it.  Apache projects love seeing new contributors. If you have
the time and the interest, I'd encourage you to look for other ways to
contribute to ZooKeeper or any other Apache project.  More details on our
contribution process are available here:

https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/HowToContribute

--Chris Nauroth