I provided technical objections, multiple times here and on the doc, based
on the fact that you propose a major extension that will further complicate
an already brittle configuration format, which multiple people are
similarly and concurrently also trying to extend in incompatible ways.
The validity of this objection is to be judged by other committers, and I
believe that Michael's email above confirms that my concern is valid.

Others have raised questions / concerns about the need for the feature, and
its interaction with multiple other features, which was not described in
the design doc.
Regarding the release - three committers have responded that this should
not go to 3.4, and that it is unlikely to get in 3.5 since it is a major
change and
will contribute to destabilizing the release.

Good luck,
Alex