> Tim Roberts writes:
>  > On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:16:19 +0100, Rob Taylor wrote:
>  > >
>  > >Has anyone sucessfully run the chips 69030 driver on powerpc
> based systems?
>  > >I'm trying to get it running on a custon 7410 based board
> with two 69030's
>  > >on,a nd i;'m seing soem off things:
>  > >...
>  > >Also does anyone know the reason for the addition of 0x800000
> to the base
>  > >address in the big-endian case?
>  >
>  > Many graphics chips include two separate "views" of the frame
> buffer: one
>  > that swaps bytes, one that does not.  This makes it easy to
> handle endian
>  > mismatches.  I'm guessing that's the case here.
>
> Right, that's exactly the reason for this. The BE support was tested
> for one of the HiQV chipsets - however I'm not sure if it was tested
> for the 69030.

thanks for the info! google now tells me that Michael Stephen Hanni wrote
the +0x80000 hack for running ct65550 on his powerbook 3400 :) Currently
theres a a lot of possibiliites as to what could be going wrong, so knowing
whats right's a good place to start :) I'll try and get a well formed patch
in when i get this all working (and I *will* get it working... *grr* ;))

noticed i forgot to mention the immediate symtoms in my last post - the
driver starts up, the server gets to running, but there's no display, no
change in output whatsover... We're running an fbdev driver for the card in
the kernel, could i be seeing some sort of resorce allocation problem?
We currently run an fbdev based driver in Xfree86 that works flawlessly but
leaves a lot to be desired on the accelaration side, so hardware is all
good.

Thanks

Rob Taylor
Senior Developer    robt at flyingpig dot com
Flying Pig Systems  http://www.flyingpig.com