Ok, I could rework my patch to take this into account.

So we'd have

smsbox       global-sender
sms-service  faked-sender
smsc         default-sender
And of course an optional &from= in every message.

And bearerbox behaviour would be

&from=            never overrideable by smsc default-sender
global-sender     overrideable by smsc default-sender (only if applied by
smsbox)
faked-sender      overrideable by smsc default-sender (only if applied by
smsbox)
an empty sender   overrideable by smsc default-sender

I do not know the impact of having message in bearerbox with an empty
sender. Will any driver complain about that?

Before going any further with this implementation, I would like to hear what
to do if a message goes all the way to bearerbox with an empty sender and
there's not default-sender.

Angel Fradejas.