On Donnerstag, September 19, 2002, at 01:05 Uhr, Stipe Tolj wrote:

Hi,

Tronet Sarah wrote:
Hi,

Can somebody give me some hints about the UCP-EMI protocol.
My application (Short Message Terminal ) is supposed to receive SMS from SMSC.
Should I only receive it using the deliver_sm (52) message or is it a way for me to poll the SMSC about stored messages or another way to receive message?

yep, AFAIK, all protocoll do push MO messages to the application
layer. Hence you should relly on the SMSC to provide you the messages
as they arrive. I'm not aware of a pull'ing mechanism for EMI/UCP or
SMPP. Please list correct me if I'm wrong here.

EMI/UCP can work in two different modes.

"single session mode":
In this mode, you send MT's to the SMSC and you disconnect. When an incoming MO arrives, the SMSC is opening a reverse session on the incoming port and delivers the incoming SMS in a separate stream. Easy to implement but load sharing and redundancy is a problem here as there is only one destination the SMSC can send to.

"multisession mode"
In this mode, the SMSC does not automatically deliver messages, it simply waits for your session to connect and delivers the incoming MO's inbound in the same session. If you use this session for incoming MO's or for MO's and MT's is only a question if you send on this link or not. Our connection to swisscom for example requires incoming SMS on one session and outgoing on another.

There is a command to trigger the sending of MO's from the SMSC which is alerting.
I think it mainy exists for connections which are not TCP/IP like X.25 or ISDN or dialup.

Andreas Fink
Global Networks, Inc.

Tel: +41-61-6932730 Fax: +41-61-6932729 Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Global Networks, Inc. Schwarzwaldallee 16, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Web: http://www.global-networks.ch/  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Member of the GSM Association