Paul P Komkoff Jr wrote:

Replying to Stipe Tolj:

now, agree'ing on the dependency issue fully. It's a philosophy and we're not about to change it.

I think it is nesessary to change this. Or there will not be any
progress.
Systems we are working with becaming complex, and it is not very wise
to reinvent the wheel every other time. I'd better spend some time
thinking and improving overall design (or planning new features) than
hitting the keys like crazy, trying to copy as much functionality as I
can from curl, libwww, berkeleydb, imagemagick, whatever.

hmmm, this is a generic policy issue I guess. I agree in some extend here too to Paul.

Yes, in my personal philosophy, open source tends to be "infrastructural assets". Like I'd like to be seen Kannel itself. Which means, using a "standard piece" of open source software is like a generic component while building a house (from the perspective of an architect).

I agree in terms of a complex MMSC setup, that we don't want to re-invent everything on our own code base. I don't do that either, ie. using gSOAP SOAP/XML engine for MM7 parsing/handling internally in our MMSC implementation, rather then to code everything on our own using lower layer libs like libxml2. Or think about content addoption. This is already fully present and *yes* should be used.

Generally, what I ment is that the "core" of Kannel should be as less dependend as possible. Add-On components, like an mmsbox as MMSC can have various dependencies added.

Stipe

mailto:stolj_{at}_wapme.de
Wapme Systems AG

Vogelsanger Weg 80