On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 11:29:08AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On 06/26/2017 11:04 AM, Langdon White wrote:
>
> > We talked about this with the server wg and decided for F27 server we would
> > try to avoid an "everything else" module and figure out how to solve this
> > problem more nicely between now and release. We have multiple options here
> > including : generating modules for everything, making an extra repo of
> > stuff available, leaving non-modules out, and, finally, the everything else
> > module.
>
> So there is never going to be any mixing of modules and non modules? I
> would think another way to solve this issue might be to get dnf to
> prefer modules, but still operate on either rpms or modules, so if you
> ran 'dnf install tmux' it would look for a tmux module, if it finds it
> great, it uses that. If it doesn't then it looks for the rpm and uses that.
> Then if later you do 'dnf update' and there is now a tmux module it
> uninstalls the rpm and intalls the module, etc.

This question is kinda like "so there is never going to be any
mixing of Fedora and Mageia RPMs?".

Module content is built separately and while the sources are
often the same or close to what was used to build traditional
composes, the modular content is not guaranteed to be 100%
binary compatible.

Enhancing dnf with a feature with a potential to unexpectedly
explode users' systems doesn't sound like a reasonable thing
to do.

> > Definitely a recognized issue, but not sure we are decided on the answer
> > (or answers). We would like the module guidelines to address the use cases
> > with recommendations but it is tough to iron this out.
>
> yeah, there definitely could be some complex interactions here, but I
> think it's important to have the ability to install local rpms or things
> that are not (yet) modularized.

That can be done.  And if those local RPMs were built against
the modular platform, even better.