On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 01:55:58PM -0400, langdon wrote:
> Apologies, but I was talking about "available in the Fedora Server
> repo". Specifically, we have a lofty goal that everything in that
> repo would have a module wrapped around it. We may not get there
> which triggers the choices above.

As Fedora stands today, of course, "the Fedora Server repo" means "all
the stuff Fedora packages at all". At the extreme, even though we tell
people that it's better to install Workstation or a desktop Spin if
they want to add a GUI, you _can_ install GNOME or KDE on server.

I don't think we need to support the extreme on Fedora Server (as an
edition) in the future (although I think we should do what we can to
allow community members to compose such a thing of their own if they
want it). But, we should set a goal like 60% of packages
which make sense in a server install available to modular server in
F27, and 95% by F28. (Where those specific numbers are just made up.)

That can be done by:

  - Every RPM that's not a library (or library-like) becomes a module.
    Like, basically everything in `dnf group info system-tools`, plus
    cowsay.

  - Lumping some of these tools logically into "network admin tools",
    "file archive/backup/sync", "benchmarking", or whatever. (This
    seems... hard to get right.)

  - Bigger split without real attempt to categorize, like "Random CLI
    tools" and "Random GUI tools" modules.

  - Gigantic "Everything Else!" module.

  - Allowing package installs from the unmodularized Fedora repository,
    and doing something fancy to avoid trouble.

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>