On 26 June 2017 at 13:55, langdon <lang...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 06/26/2017 01:29 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>
>> On 06/26/2017 11:04 AM, Langdon White wrote:
>>
>>> We talked about this with the server wg and decided for F27 server we
>>> would
>>> try to avoid an "everything else" module and figure out how to solve this
>>> problem more nicely between now and release. We have multiple options
>>> here
>>> including : generating modules for everything, making an extra repo of
>>> stuff available, leaving non-modules out, and, finally, the everything
>>> else
>>> module.
>>
>> So there is never going to be any mixing of modules and non modules? I
>> would think another way to solve this issue might be to get dnf to
>> prefer modules, but still operate on either rpms or modules, so if you
>> ran 'dnf install tmux' it would look for a tmux module, if it finds it
>> great, it uses that. If it doesn't then it looks for the rpm and uses
>> that.
>> Then if later you do 'dnf update' and there is now a tmux module it
>> uninstalls the rpm and intalls the module, etc.
>

> Essentially, this ^^ is exactly the plan. The DNF folks will have to weigh
> in on exactly how the priorities will work. I also would like to see some UX
> testing around your last point. As in, I am not sure the user gets what they
> expect if it replaces the tmux-rpm with the tmux-module without any hint.

Compared to the email from  Petr Šabata <con...@redhat.com> that came
out at the same time:

Module content is built separately and while the sources are
often the same or close to what was used to build traditional
composes, the modular content is not guaranteed to be 100%
binary compatible.

===

I am now even more confused.. are we even talking about the same
things in these emails or different things with the same name? Because
if there isn't 100% binary compatibility, I can't see how what you say
above is possible.

> Langdon
>
> PS: the problems with communicating when you are very close to something for
> a long time.

Or that many people "see" how they are going to deliver the giant
robot differently :)

--
Stephen J Smoogen.