On Sun, 2017-06-25 at 17:08 +0100, José Abílio Matos wrote:
> On Sunday, 25 June 2017 16.38.00 WEST Steve Grubb wrote:
> > For example, when I run RStudio, I get:
> >
> > R graphics engine version 12 is not supported by this version of RStudio.
> > The Plots tab will be disabled until a newer version of RStudio is
> > installed.
>
> You need to update Rstudio to a newer version. That fixes this issue.
>
> > Also:
> >
> > Warning: Error in library: there is no package called ‘shinyjs’
> > Stack trace (innermost first):
> >     41: library
> >      1: shiny::runApp
> > Error : there is no package called ‘shinyjs’
> >
> > So, basically, anyone updating to the new R is dead in the water. It really
> > needs to be rolled back to 3.3.3 in F24 & F25. Which leads to another
> > issue...where is R in the bugzilla database? I can't find it.
>
> The only packages that needed to be rebuild are those that rebuild packages
> that register C or Fortran functions:

By policy, the Rstudio update and updates for all those packages should
have been included with the update to R itself:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Updating_inter-dependent_packages

"When one updated package requires another (or more than one other),
the packages should be submitted together as a single update. For
instance, if package A depends on packages B and C, and you want to
update to a new version of package A which requires new versions of B
and C, you must submit a single update containing the updated versions
of all three packages. It is a bad idea to submit three separate
updates, because if the update for package A is pushed stable before
the updates for packages B and C, it will cause dependency problems."

Also, it may be worth considering whether updating R to 3.4 is in line
with these parts of the policy:

"Releases of the Fedora distribution are like releases of the
individual packages that compose it. A major version number reflects a
more-or-less stable set of features and functionality. As a result, we
should avoid major updates of packages within a stable release. Updates
should aim to fix bugs, and not introduce features, particularly when
those features would materially affect the user or developer
experience. The update rate for any given release should drop off over
time, approaching zero near release end-of-life; since updates are
primarily bugfixes, fewer and fewer should be needed over time."

"Package maintainers MUST:

    Avoid Major version updates, ABI breakage or API changes if at all
possible.
    Avoid changing the user experience if at all possible.
    Avoid updates that are trivial or don't affect any Fedora users."

It would be great if the relevant maintainers could take these points
into consideration for future updates. Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey