On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 05:20:13AM -0400, David Airlie wrote:

> > I ran into this today:
> > https://gist.github.com/Brainiarc7/aa43570f512906e882ad6cdd835efe57
> >
> > DRM firmware is loaded by default. HuC and GuC are not. Things work
> > without them, and things work with them loaded. So what's the pro/con
> > and if there's a pro, why isn't it the kernel default? Seems like if
> > it should be default, either upstream should set them as the default,
> > or the CPU/GPU should ask for it?
>
> I expect when upstream decided they are stable and useful enough, upstream
> will enable them. I'm not fully sure how useful they are, I think they
> might possibly enable lower power states, but also nasty bugs.

  The same upstream which did not release stable version of Xorg Intel driver
for past three years? ;-)
  According to the link, the firmwares are needed for HDMI audio, which is
quite critical functionality.  HDMI audio for older chipsets did not
require binary blobs, so this is kind of regression.

--
Tomasz Torcz               "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station
xmpp: zdzich...@chrome.pl    wagon filled with backup tapes." -- Jim Gray