On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Michael Catanzaro
<mike.catanz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 5:52 AM, Tomasz Torcz <to...@pipebreaker.pl> wrote:
>>
>>   The same upstream which did not release stable version of Xorg Intel
>> driver
>> for past three years? ;-)
>>   According to the link, the firmwares are needed for HDMI audio, which is
>> quite critical functionality.  HDMI audio for older chipsets did not
>> require binary blobs, so this is kind of regression.
>

> We should push back very hard against this. I was under the impression that
> Intel was the open source CPU vendor. If we need binary blobs in the OS to
> make new chips work properly, perhaps Fedora and Red Hat should be heavily
> promoting AMD until Intel decides to change its ways.

I believe all common current generation GPUs need firmware, some of
the intel platforms have needed firmware for audio for some time.

The intel audio firmware is /lib/firmware/intel/dsp_fw_* and the
various nVidia firmware is in /lib/firmware/nvidia/

> (I am hoping AMD doesn't do this too. I have no idea.)

You'd be wrong, check /lib/firmware/amdgpu/