On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 3:43 PM,  <nicolas.mail...@laposte.net> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> Packaging deps is a virtuous circle: it makes the work of the next person who
> needs them for other software easier, which increases the chance other
> software is packaged, which increases the value of the distro as a whole, its
> attractiveness, and the probability that someone will eventually do something
> useful for you (not limited to co-maintaining your packages). It's a long
> term virtuous investment circle.
>
> Not packaging deps is less work in the short term, especially when you're
> among the first to arrive on an underdeveloped part of the distro, but has no
> positive externalities (and potentially negative ones as it can be
> interpreted as a vote of no confidence in the distro, discouraging others).
>
> Believing in long term effects made Red Hat. Free software is the ultimate
> long-term investment. It's a lot of work to make software available in a form
> that may be consumed by others, without any guaranty someone will ever return
> anything useful. Yet it is successful, because together people are stronger
> than alone. Many entities that didn't understand this tried to outcompete Red
> Hat by focusing on actions with immediate returns, and skimping on long shot
> investments like sharing stuff with others. They had limited successes in
> attracting long-term customers, in building communities, in getting others to
> cooperate.
>
> We all like to receive, but to receive you need to give first.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Mailhot

I've done the "build the dependency chain" work myself with various
projects I publish to github. The current problem I have is that for
recent Fedora releases, I've not worked out how to add the local yum
or dnf repositories to the "mock" configurations I've been working
with for building the full chain locally, and being able to build them
in mock. Does anyone have hooks or examples of how to do so for recent
Fedora releases?