On 08.11.2017 15:53, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08-11-17 15:06, Solomon Peachy wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 08:54:03AM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
>>> Is there anyone who could raise concerns to Apple about the license
>>> change? Maybe convince them to dual-license it or something?
>>
>> Well, Michael Sweet (mswet AT apple.com) remains the primary developer
>> of CUPS, and this has been raised on the CUPS mailing list in response
>> to the announcement he posted.
>>
>> Here's the latest response [1] on that thread:
>>
>>   I don't think static linking against libcups is common enough to be a
>>   serious concern - CUPS is fairly ubiquitous and easily falls under the
>>   "OS-supplied library" exception in the GPL 2.  And existing GPL-2-only
>>   software that *does* statically link/copy CUPS code can continue to do
>>   so with CUPS 2.2.x and earlier.
>
> Someone should reply to that that the OS exception only applies when
> distributing binaries separate from said OS, not for binaries bundled
> with the OS, which all Linux distros are  (AFAIK, IANAL).

apparently Fedora Legal FAQ has a different opinion:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:FAQ?rd=Licensing/FAQ#What.27s_the_deal_with_the_OpenSSL_license.3F

        "However, we consider that the OpenSSL library is a system library, as
defined by the GPL, on Fedora and therefore we are allowed to ship GPL
software that links to the OpenSSL library."