On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 04:17:20PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,

> > > Someone should reply to that that the OS exception only applies when
> > > distributing binaries separate from said OS, not for binaries bundled
> > > with the OS, which all Linux distros are  (AFAIK, IANAL).
> >
> > I'm willing to reply to this, but before I (or anyone else) does so, I
> > think it highly prudent to have fedora-legal weigh in first.
>
> Right, good idea, as Michal Stahl pointed out:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:FAQ?rd=Licensing/FAQ#What.27s_the_deal_with_the_OpenSSL_license.3F
> indicates that fedora-legal does consider the "OS-supplied library" exception
> to apply to Fedora pkgs, so it seems I'm wrong here.

Well that page only refers to OpenSSL and even then it points out that other
distros have differing opinions. Personally I think it is dubious even for
OpenSSL, and if you start broadening it further to claim it applies to what
are effectively application level libiraries like libcups, where does it end ?
You could just claim it applies to any widely used library in Fedora, at which
point you're effectively just trying to nullify all licensing rules, whichs is
not acceptable IMHO.

Regards,
Daniel