On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 02:05:12PM +0000, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 8:43 AM Peter Robinson <pbrobin...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I agree with both of these
>
> Cool!
>
> → https://pagure.io/fedora-release/pull-request/119

>> > "upstream"
>> >
>> > I don't agree with this, there's often reasons for things and we often
>> > get pull requests that are incorrect and need a couple of revisions.
>> >

>> I think I agree with Peter here. fedora-release is a package that probably
>> *shouldn't* be granted access to provenpackagers.
>
> But why? _Any_ package can completely screw up the system with a bad
> scriplet or a dependency. Let's take one step back and consider why a
> package would need special protections: only when there's something
> _tricky_ about the package. We have such special protections for the
> kernel (signing), firefox (trademarks), and for bootloaders (signing again),

Well the fedora-release package could be arguably open to trademark.

> and some packages which don't consider the fedora repo the canonical location
> for sources. Doing those kinds of protections for a package like
> fedora-release which is _simple_ would be just adding red tape. There's
> nothing rel-eng-y about fedora-release.
>
> There's a general policy for what proven packagers can do (widely
> agreed-upon changes, cleanups, trivial fixups, etc), and I don't see any
> reason to exclude fedora-release from this.
>
>> That said, I think we should probably set a policy in place that releng
>> will quickly merge any changes limited to presets that are acked by a
>> trusted individual such as Zbigniew. We can write up some simple rules for
>> this which would probably boil down to "Must have followed the preset
>> request policy and include a comment pointing to the relevant BZ".
>
> Well, if we trust somebody to do the review, they should be trusted to
> do the merge.

I didn't say that we shouldn't open it up to a wider set of
maintainers, but I don't think it should be wide open for all proven
packagers to commit, to submit PRs sure, but not just to push. There's
a few people that consistently push bad bits and have to be requested
to resubmit.