On 18.1.2018 19:16, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 12:12 PM Petr Viktorin <pvikt...@redhat.com <mailto:pvikt...@redhat.com>> wrote:

     > On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 01:02:32PM -0800, Troy Dawson wrote:
     >> Hello,
     >> Python3 will be in the next major RHEL release.  I don't mean RHEL
     >> 7.6, but with numbers higher than 7.
     >> There are many, many packages with something like the following
     >>
     >>    if 0%{?fedora}
     >>     %define with_python3 1
     >>    %endif
     >>
     >> If you have something like that, please change it to something
    like this.

     >>    if 0%{?fedora} || 0%{?rhel} > 7
     >>     %define with_python3 1
     >>    %endif
     >
     > I'll say it once again, but why can't we just have
     > %{python2_available} and %{python3_available} macros defined in the
     > base system?

    Mostly because we can't change RHEL.

    So, how about %{python2_missing} and %{python3_available}? Is that too
    ugly and inconsistent?

We don't need to change RHEL. We just need to add %{python2_available} to the epel-srpm-macros package. Or am I missing something? Yes, this will only work for packages built against EPEL 7 and not for third-party build-systems, but that's not something we have to care about, is it?

Well there's python3 and python2 available in all EPEL versions and all Fedora versions.

Once there is a new EPEL version out there, it is very likely both pythons will be available there as well.

What am I missing?

--
Miro Hrončok