On 18 January 2018 at 13:45, Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 07:32:07PM +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:
>> Once there is a new EPEL version out there, it is very likely both
>> pythons will be available there as well.
>
> Given that Python 2 is going EOL in about two years, I don't think we
> want it in EPEL proper. If we do provide it, it should be in a module.

It has been requested by multiple people to go into EPEL proper. I
honestly don't expect any uptake on modules in EPEL land until
RHEL-8.2 in the same way that other Fedora items from 18 weren't
wanted by people until it had 'solidified' in RHEL-7.3. Modules are
something which is landing in the distro just now and we aren't
shipping a working distro that Enterprise people can say "Oh that
would be useful".. at the moment they will just reply "That's horse
pucky" because it is the default answer to vendor software until
proven otherwise.

Modules will get used, but I expect that the majority of initial users
will just want what they had before.. with just newer versions. My
current idea is to have python27 from RHEL-7 for as long as RHEL-7 is
around. It would either sit in /usr/bin or /opt/epel depending on what
is easier for developers. It is the standard issue with the
innovator's dilemna. The audience we know we have wants things like
they had because they have already sunk costs in it. We have to find
the new audience that wants the innovation versus expecting the
existing one to use it OR that the new one will come to us.

> --
> Matthew Miller
> <mat...@fedoraproject.org>
> Fedora Project Leader