On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 5:04 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 8:30 AM Michal Novotny <cl...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 10:49 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
>> <zbys...@in.waw.pl> wrote:
>>>
>>> f-r currently fails to build (#1603956), it has a bunch of bugs open [1]
>>> and many issues and unhandled pull requests in the upstream repo [2, 3].
>>> The last upstream commit was 2 years ago.
>>>
>>> f-r has is annoyingly outdated and gives often outright bad advice
>>> (for example about BR:gcc or BR:g++). The situation would be significantly
>>> improved if the outstanding PRs were merged.
>>>
>>> f-r is also python2-only now, which will be a problem soon since
>>> support for python2 is waning [4].
>>>
>>> Is there any hope of upstream and downstream activity on f-r?
>>

>> I was thinking about getting the fedora-review checks rewritten into the
>> standard Test interface
>> (https://qa.fedoraproject.org/docs/libtaskotron/latest/standard-test-interface.html)
>>  so that they
>> can be run in Taskotron. We can also just probably run one big fedora-review
>> check from
>> a taskotron test, well, this just came to my mind recently, getting the
>> actual solution ready
>> might take a little bit of time.
>>  '
>

> I'd *really* like to see us get to a point where package review is
> fully-automated. Basically we could just have a web-service that you pass a
> URL to an SRPM plus authenticate with your FAS account and it will perform
> all of the validity checks and if they all pass would go ahead and request
> the branches for you and import the SRPM.
>
> Once this is fully automated, we can then *also* add the same checks to CI
> (taskotron, OSCI or whatever) so that on each build it gets rerun, which will
> allow us to help reduce the rate of packages falling out of compliance (as
> well as being updated whenever the checks get made more comprehensive).
>
> Historically, we've had human review mainly to protect against two things,
> bundling and unacceptable licenses. In both of these cases, I'd like for us
> to move towards a culture of assuming goodwill on behalf of our packagers.
> Most of the packagers in Fedora have been doing it for a long time and know
> what is and is not acceptable. Optimizing for the minority case is wasteful,
> especially when it adds hurdles and delays to getting software delivered.
>
> I think what we should instead do is allow things through immediately
> following automated review and just assume that those few cases that slip
> through that should not will get handled after the fact as soon as they are
> noticed (either by someone noticing or an improvement in the automated tool
> discovering the problem).
>
> I feel strongly that automated, continuous review would be of far greater
> value to Fedora than front-loading the review process the way we have been
> doing (which serves mostly to discourage people from even starting).

I fully agree with this, which is why Tom (Cc'd to this email) and I
have been sketching out a plan to start moving towards this.

It won't be particularly easy, but we're looking at a step-by-step
approach to get there. However, if more people are interested in
contributing to make the end-goal possible, we might be able to get
there more quickly.