On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 4:09 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com> wrote:
> I'd *really* like to see us get to a point where package review is
> fully-automated. Basically we could just have a web-service that you pass a
> URL to an SRPM plus authenticate with your FAS account and it will perform
> all of the validity checks and if they all pass would go ahead and request
> the branches for you and import the SRPM.
>
> Once this is fully automated, we can then *also* add the same checks to CI
> (taskotron, OSCI or whatever) so that on each build it gets rerun, which
> will allow us to help reduce the rate of packages falling out of compliance
> (as well as being updated whenever the checks get made more comprehensive).
>
> Historically, we've had human review mainly to protect against two things,
> bundling and unacceptable licenses. In both of these cases, I'd like for us
> to move towards a culture of assuming goodwill on behalf of our packagers.
> Most of the packagers in Fedora have been doing it for a long time and know
> what is and is not acceptable. Optimizing for the minority case is wasteful,
> especially when it adds hurdles and delays to getting software delivered.

Also (at least in my experience), generally licensing issues get
caught by a human inspecting the output of "licensecheck", which
fedora-review currently runs automatically anyway. If the automated
review process did this and showed the results to the packager, I bet
we would catch a lot of the licensing/bundling problems.

Anyway, I really like this idea. Maybe we should still require
quasi-manual reviews for new contributors as part of the sponsorship
process, though?

Ben Rosser