On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 12:05 PM, John Harris <joh...@splentity.com> wrote:
The easiest way to make any of the Spins more accessible, for them to have any chance comparable to the prominent advertising of Workstation and similar options, would be to make them more prominent on the "getfedora" index. This
also have a huge effect on SEO.

So the reason spins are not very visible -- and ought to stay not very visible -- is that they don't get the same level of attention as the main products, and we don't really want anybody to download those unless they know in advance what they are doing. In particular, we really don't want Fedora to be judged by the quality of its spins and labs. There are a lot of them, and it's just not plausible to keep up with quality control for every one.

The Plasma spin is perhaps an exception here. I could totally see that one being elevated to the level of Fedora product: "Fedora Plasma" or something like that. I wouldn't really mind having two desktop products, myself. We just can't create Fedora products for every single desktop out there, or the download page is going to become way too hard to navigate, and users will become less-likely to wind up with the versions of Fedora that we want to promote. So if we promote KDE to a product, I'd say we'd have to draw the line there, and I'd argue that would make sense due to KDE's outsized importance to the Fedora community relative to other spins, and the QA it already receives (especially its blocker bug eligibility). I assume we fear branding difficulties if we have multiple UIs for Fedora? Perhaps it'd be a huge mistake. But the potential benefits of attracting more KDE users and developers to Fedora might well outweigh the cost! It's at least worth seriously considering.

Michael