On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 6:20 PM <mcatanz...@gnome.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 12:05 PM, John Harris <joh...@splentity.com>
> wrote:
> > The easiest way to make any of the Spins more accessible, for them to
> > have any
> > chance comparable to the prominent advertising of Workstation and
> > similar
> > options, would be to make them more prominent on the "getfedora"
> > index. This
> > also have a huge effect on SEO.
>
> So the reason spins are not very visible -- and ought to stay not very
> visible -- is that they don't get the same level of attention as the
> main products, and we don't really want anybody to download those
> unless they know in advance what they are doing. In particular, we
> really don't want Fedora to be judged by the quality of its spins and
> labs. There are a lot of them, and it's just not plausible to keep up
> with quality control for every one.

I agree that the spins in general could use more QA attention to fit this
role. But it is volunteer work - the QA team can only manage so many
editions, and there are two people that even touch the Cinnamon spin
including myself, and one person managing almost the entire stack of
software it uses, and personally I am quite disincentivized to spend time
on a spin which is given such little fanfare by the project, the only
reason I continue is because I believe it is objectively a better desktop
environment than the ones Fedora pushes. Because it is so invisible, less
people realize it exists, and because of that, nearly nobody shows up to
assist. It is a chicken and egg problem.

-Dan