On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 02:35:59AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Vít Ondruch wrote:
> > It depends how you maintain your packages. My guess is (and I am sorry
> > if I am mistaken) that you don't follow the
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Philosophy
> >
> > If you followed this policy, then you would touch the stable branches
> > just rarely and therefore keeping them fast forwardable would be just
> > waste of time.
>
> It depends on what, how, and when upstream releases.
>
> If we have different upstream releases in different Fedora releases, then of
> course those releases should have different specfiles. But if we are
> shipping the same upstream release, I don't see why I should clone the
> specfile n times.

In order to reduce complexity and allow for easier automated changes?

You could make a spec file for any package that "works" on every
version/release of every rpm based distro. It would be full of if this
then that and duplicated sections with subtle differences, it could even
do all versions.

Right now what we have is maintainer(s) preference on how complex they
want their spec files to get before they just seperate our another copy
for the complex case. I think thats bad for a number of reasons...

...snip section about why you would want to ship the same upstream
release in multiple fedora releases...

yes, thats all fine, but in a lot of cases you run into issues doing
this, which means you have to drive up the complexity of your one spec
file or just ship different ones per fedora release. I think this
increasing complexity is bad for the project, and often bad for
maintainers as well.

On the one hand you only have to edit one spec file, but you have to
figure out the logic and have no way to know if it's right without
rebuilding it in all the places you want to use it and carefully
checking each build.

On the other you have to edit more spec files and you have to swap in
context as to why say fedora 29 is doing X and master is doing Y, but
it's a lot more clear what it's doing and why.

kevin