> That seems like a personal call, really. I very much like being able
> keep branches in sync without merge commits as it means I can do
> stuff
> like:
>
> for i in el6 epel7 f29 f30 f31 master; do fedpkg switch-branch $i;
> git
> pull; git merge master; fedpkg push; fedpkg build --nowait; done
>
> and I don't find it particularly onerous to deal with sensible
> conditionals. It all depends a lot on what you prefer as an
> individual
> and exactly how much difference there needs to be between branches.

Why have branches at all if you are going to have the file be the same
in all branches? You can build for any release off of master - Koji
will still record the commit hash and everything, so nothing bad
happens if you do that. It seems like unnecessary effort to bother with
all the merges (even if they are clean) when you could just have a
master branch if you are set on having a spec file with if statements.

I think I would mind the if statements less if I could use indentation
in the spec file to make it visually easier to discern which code is
part of which if block. Or am I wrong — can you do that?

I personally like using git here - it makes my spec files shorter and
cleaner, and I don't find it hard to resolve the conflicts. As said
elsewhere, there are ideas for how to reduce the very common conflicts
(changelog/version/release) and if we did that I think it'd be even
easier.

Anyways, I think it's fine to do it the way you want (or the way the
group wants if you maintain a package with other folks), but I would
suggest to those who prefer the if statements, why not consider just
using master? It'll save a little effort.