On Thu, 2019-10-03 at 19:02 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> > As pointed out elsewhere, we would have fewer conflicts if we could
> > get
> > the version, release, and changelog out of the spec file, and then
> > think maintaining different spec in different release branches
> > would be
> > easier than it is today.
>
> Small correction: not the version. Just the release and changelog.

I included version because of jcline's proposal to use git tags to
discern the version and release. Though I bet you could have some
conflicts due to version too (though less common). For example, say you
have these versions:

F29: libfoo-1.2.1-1
F30: libfoo-1.3.0-1

Then upstream does a 1.3.1 with an OMG security fix, and for whatever
reason you don't choose to backport the fix but instead just update F29
to 1.3.1 (you read the changelog, nothing is backwards incompatible,
and backporting the fix is non-trivial, for example). This could lead
to a conflict, but not hard to resolve of course.