On 17. 10. 19 13:41, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 5:17 AM Miro Hrončok <mhron...@redhat.com> wrote:

On 17. 10. 19 2:41, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
For example, we might have packages whose buildsystem
still relies on Python 2 (WAF?) but doesn't require it at runtime.

We do have them. How does that relate to modularity at all?

That was a representative example. I came up with it at 11pm after a
long day. Don't read too much into the specifics. The point was that
builds may require newer or older software than we have available in
the non-modular buildroot, but don't require them at runtime.

Yes, they do. There are many ways to solve the problem, from compat packages trough various tag-magic to buildroot overrides in custom side tags. We have had this problem for years and we were able to deal with it quite well.

Similarly, the example of "build on Rawhide, run anywhere" was
backwards. I should have said "build on oldest supported Fedora, carry
through".

As others have pointed out, this is technically possible without modules and we don't do it because we are (arguably rightfully) obsessed with rebuilds.

There is no technical problem to tag a .fc29 build into f29, f30, f31 and f32 (except that currently, bodhi will not let you do that, so admin permissions are probably necessary; however this is already possible for anybody for branched (prior to bodhi enablement) + rawhide).

--
Miro Hrončok