On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 7:53 AM Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 7:48 AM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 7:42 AM Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Similarly, the example of "build on Rawhide, run anywhere" was
> > > backwards. I should have said "build on oldest supported Fedora, carry
> > > through".
> >
> > Modules currently fail at this because they have a platform
> > dependency.
>
> I meant to address that in an earlier email when I saw you mention
> that. It was wrong then, too.
>
> Most modules *specify* a platform dependency, but they *do not have to*.
>
> Take a look at the maven module, for example:
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/modules/maven/blob/3.5/f/maven.yaml
>
> You will notice that it specifies F29 as a build requirement but
> specifies '[ ]' for the platform: this means "Build it on F29, run it
> anywhere".

Ah, so we already have the BR/R split for module deps.

> > And we could *easily* permit it for non-modular packages
> > if we actually wanted it. I think we've generally said we don't want
> > to maintain content that can't be built for current releases, so this
> > is problematic.
> >

> We could permit it, sure. Modularity has facilities for implementing
> it already, whereas non-modular would need to grow new rules for the
> Message Tagging Service or do a lot of manual tagging.
>
> > Also, if we did this, we should drop the DistTag, because it confuses
> > people otherwise.
> >

> Could you explain that?

People regularly look at NEVRAs to identify whether there are
"broken"/"old" packages to clean up, and when you see .fc29 installed
on an otherwise .fc31 system, it looks like something has gone wrong.
If packages are intended to be built once and pushed to multiple
releases, it shouldn't have the DistTag suffix.