Once upon a time, John M. Harris Jr <joh...@splentity.com> said:
> As explained earlier in this thread, DVD drives are still a standard offering
> on prebuilt systems. In fact, I just checked, and they're a standard offering
> on ALL of the current line Dell workstations which are RHEL certified.

The number of Dell workstations sold from a "RHEL certified" list is
miniscule compared to the number of PC-class computers sold.  It's
possible that some "RHEL certified" requirement includes an optical
drive (I have no idea, since I didn't even know there was a "RHEL
certified" Dell, and I buy a lot of Dells).  Also, what one vendor does
for one particular class of workstation is far from representative of
all prebuilt systems.

I just checked my local Best Buy's website - of the desktop computer
models available in the store, only about 1/3 of them have an optical
drive.  Only two out of sixty notebooks have an optical drive.  I think
that's a lot more representative of where the market is going.

My home computer still has an optical drive, only because the drive
still works 10 years after I bought it (or at least it did last time I
used it, which IIRC was maybe early this year).  If I try to use the
drive and it doesn't work, I won't replace it.  However, last time I
tried to burn something (a couple of years ago?), all the blank media on
my shelf was no longer any good, so I just gave someone an old thumb
drive (cheaper than buying more media).

--
Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net>