On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 4:39 PM John M. Harris Jr <joh...@splentity.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, December 15, 2019 1:53:15 PM MST Frantisek Zatloukal wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 9:05 PM John M. Harris Jr <joh...@splentity.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > That was not brought up elsewhere in this thread. Who is considering this,
> > > and
> > > why? That would mean that a large portion of users would *not be able to
> > > install Fedora*.
> >
> > Just note that I mean blocking by "supported". I am not talking about
> > dropping capability of installation from optical media. Might have been
> > slight misunderstanding and bad wording on my side. Also, I doubt that your
> > "large portion" is correct.
>
> As explained earlier in this thread, DVD drives are still a standard offering
> on prebuilt systems. In fact, I just checked, and they're a standard offering
> on ALL of the current line Dell workstations which are RHEL certified.

I spent about 15 minutes on this and found exactly zero systems with
DVD drives, even as an option, on the Apple and Microsoft stores. None
for System76. And none for HP. I did find DVD drives a custom build
option on Dell's website. But even if there are some ways to dig
around for systems with optical drives, it's not at all persuasive
that it's common or typical or standard on prebuilt systems.

Three years ago I did a more involved search when looking for a new
laptop. Zero optical drives in new hardware. Only as external
accessory add-ons. Of course my search was biased in favor of weight.
Whereas your search is biased for workstations. Based on user forums
and bug reports, laptops are a significant portion of the user base,
so to discount them entirely isn't convincing.

A simple google search on the death of optical drives turns up 51
million results, the first page includes:

Death of the Computer Optical Drive
Why most modern PCs don't feature CD, DVD, or Blu-ray drives  - 2019, Lifewire

Why you might still want an optical drive - 2015, PC Magazine

The End of Optical Storage? It’s Here - 2012, Network World

Our broad heterogeneous user based probably does have more dependency
on optical drives than recent hardware trends indicate. But I don't
buy the idea at all that optical drives are still in their heyday.

> > Practically speaking, I'd say that adding the same warning as is in
> > UNetbootin section in Fedora Docs [0] to the Live CD section [1] would make
> > sense, but this is just an idea and probably out of scope of this thread.
>
> I have no idea why you'd do that, nor why anyone would want to do it. That'd
> be like telling folks installing from DVD images isn't the right thing to do,
> which makes no sense, as it's the standard way to install any system, and has
> been since the mid 2000s.

Optical drives are the exception, rather than the rule. Clicking
around on Dell's sight for desktops, I tried to click the middle
option each time, neither high nor low end. I get

Dell Precision 5280 $1629, six hard drive bays, optical drive not
included, but is available as an option. Windows optical media is not
included. But there is a single option to get it, on USB. It's not an
option to get it on a DVD.

But you're saying it's standard way to install any system. Gotcha.

--
Chris Murphy