On Tuesday, August 31, 2010, 4:59:27 PM, Matt wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 08:27 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> It doesn't seem to be an unavoidable requirement, it says:
>>
>> "If you proposed Start/Home Page is not similar to the existing Firefox
>> Start Page, please be prepared to provide a rationale for the change,
>> and how it would benefit the end-user. "
>>
>> I think we could manage such a rationale.

> We can definitely make a rationale for having a bunch of Fedora
> resources on the start page, but our rationale for omitting a Google
> search box, "it's redundant and promotes a proprietary service", is not
> a line of reasoning I would expect Mozilla to accept.  Then again, they
> may calculate that they are better off compromising on this issue in
> order to keep Fedora using their trademarks.
> --
> Matt

Personally, I _DO_ want to have something close to the standard Google
search  pages  as  my  home page. On my XP systems, I use the standard
Mozilla start page.

Put  too  much  crap on there (and yes, if I do not want to look for a
Fedora  resource,  too  much  additional  information  WILL  fit  that
classification), and I will change the Fedora start page to either the
standard   Mozilla   page  or  just  www.google.ca  with  just  a  few
keystrokes.  At  that point, you have lost me as an audience, unless I
specifically decide to use the handy Fedora bookmarks provided.

Shocking?  No. I want to use my computer, and most of the time I bring
up  a browser session to do searches, or use a bookmark on my toolbar.
Stupid  UI  "innovations"  like hiding my toolbar in the FF 4 beta are
quickly reverted to the way _I_ want my browser.

Please  do  not  ignore that the browser is there for the user to use,
not for Fedora to stream information in spite of the user's wishes.

This is Linux, not some Microsoft (or Apple) "we know what is best for
you" system.
Al