On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 17:20 -0400, Al Dunsmuir wrote:
> Please  do  not  ignore that the browser is there for the user to use,
> not for Fedora to stream information in spite of the user's wishes.
>
> This is Linux, not some Microsoft (or Apple) "we know what is best for
> you" system.
> Al

I couldn't have summed it up better myself.

That's exactly right. The browser is there for the user sitting at his
desk and staring at the screen. The user.
And Fedora considering forcing and flooding the home page with their own
informational crap, 90% of it probably useless, makes us just as bad as
Google. Don't you think it's kind of hypocritical?

I can see the many valid points that have been made with this
discussion, but to me it seems a bit tacky to even be discussing the
issue to this degree.
And I revert from using the term "issue" because I sincerely don't
believe there is one.

I think many here are forgetting that Google is our friend. And Google
Inc. as a company not only support free and open source software but
they are also part of that very community and have done their fair share
for the FOSS community over the years.
And when you think about it, sure Google Search is proprietary code and
all, but it's pretty amazing what Google let you do with their tools and
apps, all for free! I'm sure an exception can be made for such a small
thing. Google Inc. seems to be treated as an enemy of FOSS here, but
they're not. And I think it's disgraceful that's how you're all painting
a unsubstantiated target on them.

My solution to a problem that never was; amend the policy guidelines and
move on to some more serious issues.

Regards

--
Chris Jones <chrisjo...@comcen.com.au>