On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 10:40:51PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot via devel wrote:
> Le samedi 29 février 2020 à 20:57 +0100, clime a écrit :
> > If I, as a user, see e.g. python3-alembic-1.1.0-13 in f31 and then I
> > will see python3-alembic-1.1.0-13 in f32 (this time with .fc32
> > disttag), I am going to assume nothing has changed for that package.
>
> And you’ll be wrong, because we do branch.

Succinct, but true.

To give a concrete example: foo-99-1 is in current rawhide and F32
branches. In rawhide, the mass rebuild happens, but so we get foo-99-2.
But this is a noarch package and foo-99-1.fc32 and foo-99-2.fc33 are
effectively identical, despite having different NVr
(where "r" is just the number part without the dist tag).
Now a bug reported that only affects F32 or the maintainer rebuilds in
F32 only. A rebuild with the fix is labelled foo-99-2.fc32. Now the
packages are functionally different, despite having same NVr.

(And this is all correct packaging, according to update guidelines.
The upgrade path is preserved at all times, and that is the only thing
that is required.)

So yeah, I stand by my original statement that
> The numbers <commits-since-version-bump> in different branches cannot
> be meaningfully compared. Those numbers only make sense in the context
> of a specific branch, so they should be ordered after <dist>.

Zbyszek