On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 6:10 PM Steven Munroe <munroes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Linux kernel notified each process of the Platform and Hardware
> Capabilities it the AUX Vector (Defined in the Application Binary
> Interface Document for each platform). The compilers provide a easy to
> use interface to interrogate this:
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-9.3.0/gcc/Basic-PowerPC-Built-in-Functions-Available-on-all-Configurations.html#Basic-PowerPC-Built-in-Functions-Available-on-all-Configurations
> .
> Similarly for x86.
>
> This is the mechanism that the dynamic linker / runtime use to select
> the best implementation (of for example memcpy or cosf128) based on
> the platform (POWER8 vs POWER9).
>
> This CAN be used by any project/package. I am working on documenting
> this (implementing dynamic IFUNC selection for platform specific
> optimizations) as part of the PVECLIB project. If interested send me a
> note.

This explanation helps quite a bit. Thanks. However, I'm not really a
programmer. My "developer" duties for the varios freetel projects are
largely limited to creating/managing the CMake build system.

As far as LCPNet itself I've communicated with the primary developer quite
a bit over the last week. LPCNet *will not work* without optimizations (at
least not in real time which is the point).

I think we're going to work towards a static build option, we just have to
figure out the mechanics. The main application does check for AVX/AVX2 and
disables the 2020 mode if it's not available.

Thanks,
Richard