On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 7:24 AM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kof...@chello.at> wrote:

> Richard Shaw wrote:
> > As far as LCPNet itself I've communicated with the primary developer
> quite
> > a bit over the last week. LPCNet *will not work* without optimizations
> (at
> > least not in real time which is the point).
>
> Has anyone (upstream or elsewhere) ever looked into doing an SSE2 version
> of
> the vector code? It should be faster than scalar (especially considering
> that the "scalar" floating-point code (under the default -mfpmath=sse)
> actually loads everything into SSE2 registers as well, but does not
> actually
> make use of the vectorization) and it would match the baseline of many
> distributions and upstreams out there.

Well, I think that would be a bit beyond us ham radio guys, the version
we're using is a fork of the main project:

https://github.com/mozilla/LPCNet

Which only provides AVX, AVX2, and NEON options. I don't think the NEON one
is even fast enough (due the the hardware that uses it more than the
instruction set).

> > I think we're going to work towards a static build option, we just have
> > figure out the mechanics. The main application does check for AVX/AVX2
> and
> > disables the 2020 mode if it's not available.
>
> Well, if the application does the runtime detection, I guess you can get
> away with relying on that. The problems will start if some other
> application
> comes and wants to use the library unconditionally.

I think the direction we're heading is to include it in the package of the
main FreeDV program. This fork is tightly connected to FreeDV/codec2.
Planning either a static build or private library.

Thanks,
Richard