On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 9:41 PM Steven Munroe <munroes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jun Aruga writes:
>
> > I recommend using the simde (SIMD Everywhere) library for the packaging and
> > contribution
> > to the upstream. https://github.com/nemequ/simde
>
> This does not help unless the project LPCNet maintainers are willing to built
> the fat binaries and support dynamic selection. Otherwise every user is
> rebuilding from source.

simde is a header files only library. It's not a binary. There is no
shared object file in it. The project needs to bundle the simde in the
project or use the system library for the build.

> > You do not need to care about the availability by arch or compiler when
> > using this library.
>
> This is exactly what the Power Vector Library PVECLIB is doing for ppc64le.
> PVECLIB provides POWER7/8/9 VMX/VSX operations equivalent to <altivec.h>
> while smoothing over compiler version and platform ISA differences. PVECLIB
> also provides useful operations beyond the "Power Vector Intrinsic
> Programming Reference" defined set (like Multiply 128-bit Quadword). Net you
> can write using power9 operation extensions and still compile for
> -mcpu=power7/8. PVECLIB provides the appropriate implementation.
>
> Also for GCC (and I think Clang) provide ppc64le equivalent headers to Intel
> MMX and SSE intrinsic headers (at least for SSE3 and some SSE4). This could
> be more of a performance compromise (vs PVECLIB) but would be a place to
> start if you have an existing SSE implementation and want to vectorize
> ppc64le.

Okay. I did not know the library. Thanks for the info.

> But again someone needs to build and distribute the fat binaries for each
> project.

Again it's not the binaries. People need to build with it. But do not
need to distribute it for each project.
For the better user experience, we are promoting the system library
for both RPM and Debian based Linux distributions.

--
Jun | He - His - Him