On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 1:33 AM Igor Raits
<ignatenkobr...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> >
> > Add Supplements:fedora-release-common to zram-generator to pull it in
> > on upgrades.
>
> I would do it other way around just to keep logic sane.

Hmmm.

> > Existing systems without swap will have swap-on-zram enabled.
> >
> > Existing systems with swap-on-drive, will also have swap-on-zram
> > enabled (two swap devices), with higher priority for the zram device.
> > Existing swap-on-drive will not be removed.
>
> It would be nice to see this in action, what kind of issues this might
> bring.

A future feature might be zswap for this case. I've done a lot of
testing with that too but I think it needs some synthetic or contrived
cases to expose the hypothetically better LRU basis efficiency for
what to evict from the cache to the swap-on-disk device. But making it
easier for people to do these experiments with real workloads is a big
part of the feature, while keeping the defaults conservative for
starters.

> I would appreciate here how to get to the state from swap-on-disk
> (default workstation) to the new swap-on-zram (new default
> workstation). So that people can see better how they would be affected
> by this change.

Good point. The feature for priority is not yet in zram-generator. A
work around is to swapoff /dev/zram0 and then swapon -p 3000
/dev/zram0. Now it has higher priority than swap-on-disk.

--
Chris Murphy