On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 01:14:14PM -0400, Robbie Harwood wrote:
> Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbys...@in.waw.pl> writes:
>
> > Pfff, now I'm confused. Here is a case where systemd-resolved
> > implements the standard, and some people were unhappy because they
> > were relying on sloppy implementations which don't follow the RFC.
>
> Yes, welcome to software development!
>
> Sometimes people care about the standard and sometimes the standard
> isn't helpful.  You can bemoan it, or belittle the users as you are
> doing here, but *that's how it is*.

I agree, but I was replying to a mail which said that systemd-resolved does
not follow the standard. In *this* particular case, that complaint is off
target.

> The only way you can find out which
> approach to take is to *figure out what the people in the space
> expect*.  In other words, it requires human contact and understanding of
> the problems - not just guessing in a vacuum.

There is more than one space... and different people have different
expectations. What systemd-resolved was doing seems the appropriate
thing for 90% of cases, but we also implemented an opt-in for the
other behaviour. So I don't think you're being fair when you're saying
"[I] bemoan it, or belittle the users", since I implemented the opt-in and
I didn't even say anything about the users.

Zbyszek