On Wed, 2020-12-02 at 11:14 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 11:11 AM Ben Cotton <bcot...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > One uncomfortable question that this raises: is it time to de-Edition
> > Fedora Server? We'd still produce it, but it would no longer be
> > considered an Edition (and thus potentially not block releases, etc,
> > the exact implications would have to be worked out)
> >
> > As far as I can tell, the Server Working Group has essentially been
> > dormant for a while, with sgallagh coming in to fix issues when they
> > arise. So one alternative to demoting Server would be for someone to
> > revive that WG.
> >
> > Fedora CoreOS is not an exact replacement for Fedora Server, of
> > course, but this does present what feels like a natural opportunity to
> > ask this question.
> >

> There were a number of people interested in helping with reviving the
> Server WG, myself included. But we don't know how to have that move
> forward. We've never really had a situation like this before...

I'm not sure it's really warranted, to be honest. A counterpoint is
that you can consider Server to be sort of dormant *because it works*.
We have a defined set of capabilities for Fedora Server, testing of
them is almost entirely automated, and our releases keep providing
those capabilities reliably. We have a couple of representative boring-
server-things that Server is required to be able to do well: being a
database server, and being a FreeIPA server. We have decent automated
tests for those, and when they break, people jump on them and fix them.
All our Fedora Server releases have met them pretty well. People run it
and are happy.

CoreOS can be a database server too, of course. I could set things up
to run those tests for CoreOS builds, I guess. I'm not sure it can be a
FreeIPA server, or if anyone's even tried.

Of course, we can keep publishing Server images and providing those
capabilities without calling it an Edition, but...I'm not sure it just
being sort of quiet and undramatic necessarily merits that, especially
if we don't have clear replacements for its capabilities yet.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA