On Wed, 2020-12-02 at 11:14 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:

> There were a number of people interested in helping with reviving the
> Server WG, myself included. But we don't know how to have that move
> forward. We've never really had a situation like this before...

I'd start with staging a takeover of https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server

It looks like there are no meeting logs in the last two years, so I
don't think you'll get much pushback.

I talked to sgallagh before posing this question, so I don't expect
you'll get any pushback. If anything, you'll probably make people
happy. :-)

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 12:30 PM Adam Williamson
<adamw...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure it's really warranted, to be honest. A counterpoint is
> that you can consider Server to be sort of dormant *because it works*.

Is "it still works" sufficient to keep a deliverable at the forefront?
Obviously we want what we ship to work, whether it's an Edition or
bex's Llama Herder Lab. But what is Server doing to move the state of
the art forward? Server is a slightly different case in that generally
you don't want servers to be too adventurous, but if it's in statis,
should it be a flagship?

Like I said above, the Server WG appears to be in zombie state for at
least the last two years. Is Fedora Server doing what it should be
doing now, or is it doing what it should have done two years ago?

> Of course, we can keep publishing Server images and providing those
> capabilities without calling it an Edition, but...I'm not sure it just
> being sort of quiet and undramatic necessarily merits that, especially
> if we don't have clear replacements for its capabilities yet.

I'm certainly not advocating we drop Server entirely. But we should
evaluate its place in Fedora, particularly if there's no one providing
active care and feeding. I'd much rather see the Server WG come back
to life and keep it as an Edition.

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His