On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 09:04:08AM +0200, Clement Verna wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 16:40, Frank Ch. Eigler <f...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Daniel P. Berrangé <berra...@redhat.com> writes:
> >
> > > The container runtime in the host OS will have configured most mount
> > > points before the container starts. It would be relatively uncommon
> > > for processes inside the container image to need to mount additional
> > > volumes later.
> >
> > That's fair, but util-linux contains many other tools that may be useful
> > at runtine within a containerized tool (logger, flock, lsmem, rename,
> > taskset, whereis, others?).  Some those be moved somewhere else?
> >
> > /usr/bin/* files from f33's util-linux:
> >
> > cal chmem choom chrt col colcrt colrm column dmesg eject fallocate
> > fincore findmnt flock getopt hardlink hexdump i386 ionice ipcmk ipcrm
> > ipcs irqtop isosize kill last lastb linux32 linux64 logger login look
> > lsblk lscpu lsipc lsirq lslocks lslogins lsmem lsns mcookie mesg more
> > mount mountpoint namei nsenter prlimit raw rename renice rev script
> > scriptlive scriptreplay setarch setpriv setsid setterm su taskset ul
> > umount uname26 unshare utmpdump uuidgen uuidparse wall wdctl whereis
> > write x86_64
> >

> It is all about tradeoff between what **may** be useful and the size of the
> base image. In the container base image space, size is very important (see
> how successful is Alpine) and we have to make tradeoff in terms of what
> tools are included by default in the image.

This is very true, but to be brutally honest when you look at these
differences below, I can't see any of the traditional distros ever
winning on size, because Alpine is a different order of magnitude
compared to them. If minimal size is the user's primary goal we're
not even in the same contest as Alpine.

That means we have to win on some other metric with the remaining
users, for whom size is not the primary driving factor.

We have to at least not look terrible size-wise compared to other
traditional distros, which means we need to be as close as practical
to Ubuntu / Debian (slim).

IMHO even then we would need the default "fedora" image to be the
minimal one, as that's what a casual user will compare, unless they
happen to know "fedora-minimal" exists.

> To get an idea on how Fedora does compared to some other distros
>
> REPOSITORY                                     TAG      IMAGE ID
>  CREATED       SIZE
> registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora              rawhide  5e91f1acac7d  47
> hours ago  187 MB
> registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora-minimal      latest   438d4fec7485  5
> days ago    119 MB
> docker.io/library/debian                       latest   4a7a1f401734  7
> days ago    119 MB

FWIW, there's also debian:stable-slim at 72 MB

> registry.opensuse.org/opensuse/leap            latest   1a798c6c690f  5
> days ago    108 MB
> docker.io/library/ubuntu                       latest   7e0aa2d69a15  3
> weeks ago   75.1 MB

So we need to cull 45 MB / 36% of 'fedora-minimal' to reach this target,
or 112 MB / 60% of 'fedora'.

util-linux is a decent sized chunk of that, so makes sense to question
its need.

> docker.io/library/alpine                       latest   6dbb9cc54074  4
> weeks ago   5.88 MB

Regards,
Daniel