On Thu, May 20, 2021, at 8:21 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:

> Lets say the Fedora base image is refreshed with updated RPMs on a weekly
> basis. Each application republishes their app containers on an arbitrarily
> different schedule, maybe fortnightly, monthly, whatever. Thus out of
> 10 different apps deployed, you could easily find yourself shipping 10
> different versions of the base image.

This of course is the big difference between flatpak and
docker/podman/kubernetes as they work today.  flatpak dynamically links base
images (by having apps go into `/app`).

I can't think of a hard reason that podman couldn't learn to dynamically link
base images too with the same approach of having the app bits live in `/app`.
Or honestly, in many cases we could just forcibly dynamically link layers, for
most of the OpenShift platform we just have big statically linked Go binaries
that don't overlay anything on the host (no package installs etc).

One could imagine something like this in a Containerfile:

```
FROM quay.io/fedora:rust as buildroot
COPY . /build
RUN cargo build --release

FROM DYNAMIC quay.io/fedora
COPY --from-buildroot /build/target/release/myapp /usr/bin/myapp
```

Where the `DYNAMIC` part here opts-in to dynamic linking like flatpak, and the
overlayfs is dynamic instead of static.