On Thu, 2021-05-20 at 15:58 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 2021, at 8:21 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
>
> > Lets say the Fedora base image is refreshed with updated RPMs on a weekly
> > basis. Each application republishes their app containers on an arbitrarily
> > different schedule, maybe fortnightly, monthly, whatever. Thus out of
> > 10 different apps deployed, you could easily find yourself shipping 10
> > different versions of the base image.
>
> This of course is the big difference between flatpak and
> docker/podman/kubernetes as they work today.  flatpak dynamically links base
> images (by having apps go into `/app`).
>
> I can't think of a hard reason that podman couldn't learn to dynamically link
> base images too with the same approach of having the app bits live in `/app`.
>  Or honestly, in many cases we could just forcibly dynamically link layers,
> for most of the OpenShift platform we just have big statically linked Go
> binaries that don't overlay anything on the host (no package installs etc).
>
> One could imagine something like this in a Containerfile:
>
> ```
> FROM quay.io/fedora:rust as buildroot
> COPY . /build
> RUN cargo build --release
>
> FROM DYNAMIC quay.io/fedora
> COPY --from-buildroot /build/target/release/myapp /usr/bin/myapp
> ```
>
> Where the `DYNAMIC` part here opts-in to dynamic linking like flatpak, and
> the overlayfs is dynamic instead of static.

Having a couple of user containers using podman now occupying a lot of
space in my user home, I would appreciate this option.
It would be *especially* nice if it were possible to *rebase* (a la
git) such containers to a later fedora release as well in time [I am ok
if the rebase fails and I have to revert].

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
RHEL Crypto Team