On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 08:52:13PM -0400, PGNet Dev wrote:
> Endless theoretical discussions ... Interesting, but _is_ there
> real-world, end-user doc available for installing and using papp-et-al
> on Fedora, today?  A "do this now" for end users?  TBH, I'm unclear
> (and no, I haven't gone digging ...)

The short answer -- no, there isn't anything like thet yet.

For PAPPL specifically, there won't ever be, because it is essentially a
library/framework to be used by printer-specific stuff.

> Admittedly, PS drivers are buggy-to-useless, and NONE of the "toner
> level" reporting seems attached to reality in any way.

For these old Postscript-capable HPs, there's the new 'ps-printer-app'
(not yet packaged in Fedora) which will allow you to supply the PPD and
everything should JustWork(tm).

For native PCL, there's currently the 'hp-printer-app', but IIUC it's
meant more as a demonstration of PAPPL than anything comprehensive.

When Gutenprint is finally mashed together with PAPPL, it'll bring along
comprehensive PCL4/5/5c support.  There are probably plans afoot to do
the same with hplip, which will also result in comprehensive PCL
support.

> If any of that^^ ceases to function, then that'll be a problem.

Absolutely!

I don't believe anyone is seriously advocating for retiring the
status-quo "Legacy CUPS" driver model until (at minimum) the major
printer driver families have been PAPPLized.

> OTOH, If papp-future _at_the_very_least_ maintains that^^
> functionality through legacy wrappers, then I have zero concerns.

I believe this exact scenario is planned as the final catch-all option.

Just to be clear, when this Printer Application-only vision was first
announced I was probably the most vocal skeptic in the room. Since then,
the Openprinting folks have made consistent progress, addressing
concerns, and filling in the missing pieces.  They're working very, very
hard to ensure printing continues to work... at least as well as it ever
did, heh.

(I've beeen around long enough to remember similar arguments being made
 about a new shiny upstart called CUPS over lpr[ng] and printcap. And
 look where we are today...)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy                        pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)