Solomon Peachy wrote:

> On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 01:27:03AM +0200, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
>> I do not see how that is the common use case. Why would I want to print
>> from my telephone? I do not even normally print from my notebook!
>
> I don't think it's controversial to say that one needs to print from
> whatever computing devices one uses.

If I am sitting next to my printer, I have a desktop computer in front of me
from which I can issue the print job, so why would I want to do it from a
notebook or smartphone?

> X11 forwarding through SSH while running Wayland seems to work just fine
> for me.  *shrug*

You're actually using a mix of X11 and Wayland then (with all the forwarded
windows being X11/XWayland windows) though.

>> More often than not, the "PDF-based print flow" just means that something
>> client-side converts the PostScript to PDF before sending it to the shiny
>> new "PDF-based print flow", only to have something in the driver filters
>> convert the PDF back to PostScript before doing anything else.
>
> This hasn't been the case since Fedora 19 (Spring 2013), which, as part
> of CUPS 1.6, switched to a PDF-native flow.  Postscript is only used on
> the edges, ie if the printer requires it or the application supplies it.

But that is exactly my point: if the printer requires PostScript and the
application supplies PostScript, but the queue expects PDF documents, this
results in converting back and forth from PostScript to PDF and back to
PostScript.

        Kevin Kofler