On Fri, 10 Sept 2021 at 09:33, Miroslav Suchý <msu...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Dne 09. 09. 21 v 18:54 Demi Marie Obenour napsal(a):
> > Can the Firefox build be distributed among multiple machines?
>
> I would love to see a benchmark how much it speed up big packages and how it
> slow downs smaller packages. Whole rpmbuild
> part.
>

> FYI
>
> Mock has CCache plugin, which speeds the thing a bit, but can be easily
> exploited. So on build systems it is switched off.
>
> Years ago I wrote blogpost about building in memory using tmpfs. That can
> give you up to 70% gain.
>
> http://miroslav.suchy.cz/blog/archives/2015/05/28/increase_mock_performance_-_build_packages_in_memory/index.html
>
> We use this in Copr. AFAIK Koji does not use it. You can join Fedora infra to
> change it :)

Uhm, let us not set up unreal expectations on what Fedora Infrastructure can do.
1. Koji needs to be able to support it and Fedora Infrastructure
doesn't/maintain work on that code.
2. Fedora Infrastructure would need either newer hardware or cut down
the number of builders to allow for more memory per system to do the
builds in ramdisk.
3. There are a long list of 'higher' priority items which the koji
developers have on their list to do all the time. This needs to be
weighed against the other needs of trying to make builds reproducible,
trying to make koji work better in a cloud evironment, etc.
4. If all of that would make it look like Fedora Infrastructure should
move to a different build system... then it isn't going to happen
soon.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in