On Wed, Jan 12, 2022, at 4:04 AM, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> Here seems to be another SMALL undocumented dependency of this change:
> completing the /usrmove thing to cover the whole world including /opt,
> /etc, /var, and presumably /boot as well because packages put stuff in it.

There are very few packages that put things in /boot.  For example, fwupd used
to be in that set, but moved into a "self updater" model where the binary goes
in /usr, and then it copies itself into the ESP instead of having yum/rpm do it.

Now, rpm-ostree also does this with /boot:
https://github.com/coreos/rpm-ostree/blob/210bf148342a9545c9841ae6d8403354ce49b672/src/libpriv/rpmostree-util.cxx#L134

And then we have a sister project https://github.com/coreos/bootupd/ that is
only shipped in FCOS today (but would make sense to use on everything that uses
rpm-ostree) which is scoped explicitly to only handle stuff on the ESP (and
eventually, stuff like grub on the MBR and other architectures too).

Correct handling of /boot is obviously essential for transactional updates;
ostree is entirely designed around a "strong binding" of (kernel, userspace)
pairs.  Handling kernels in /boot for "client side snapshots" is something most
projects in this space do out of band, as far as I've seen.

Again, it's really that 90% of the data in the rpmdb is for /usr.  We recently
changed the kernel RPM to stick the kernel binary in /usr/lib/modules/$kver and
only *copy* it from there to strengthen this model.  And this move is pushing
things farther along in that direction.