On Thu, Jan 13, 2022, at 6:05 PM, Fabio Valentini wrote:

> The path "/usr/lib/sysimage/rpm" does look very out-of-place in
> non-image-based systems, so *if* we want to move the rpmdb to a place
> that's consistent across all our Editions, it should also be a
> location name that makes sense across all Editions.

I don't think we should discount alignment with OpenSUSE.  When they originally
proposed /usr/lib/sysimage I started to write a bikeshed reply email (like many
that have been posted here) around why /usr/share was a bit better but then I
said to myself: "You know what?  I don't care as long as we get it in /usr.
Since they're driving the change, and there really isn't any technical
compelling reason to do something else, it's fine."

Also, proliferation of these paths has a cost; see e.g.
https://github.com/openSUSE/libsolv/pull/386
Though in practice *most* cases will be fine just chasing a symlink from
/var/lib/rpm.