Hi Brian,

On 4/14/22 01:52, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> A huge thanks to Thomas Schmitt for posting xorrisofs arguments :)
>
> Here is a lorax PR switching to grub2 for BIOS and changing the layout
> of the iso as described in his post:
>
> https://github.com/weldr/lorax/pull/1226
>
> And a Fedora 36 iso:
>
> https://bcl.fedorapeople.org/boot-grub2-f36.iso
>
> I've tested this with:
>
> - qemu bios -cdrom
> - qemu uefi -cdrom
> - qemu bios -hda
> - qemu uefi -hda
> - USB stick on uefi PC hardware with SB off
> - USB stick on UEFI PC hardware with SB on
> - USB stick on Apple hardware UEFI
>   2010 Macbook Air and 2012 Macbook Pro
> - Media test works on all of the above
>
> I have not tested it on CD or DVD physical media. I have a stack of
> blank discs but apparently have unplugged all my drives to use their
> SATA ports for SSDs :)

Thank you so much for working on this.

I've dd-ed the boot-grub2-f36.iso to an USB stick and successfully
tested it on the following machines:

1. Siemens PC with an i5-2400 with 8G RAM
2. Fujitsu-Siemens PC with a Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz dual core with 4G RAM
3. Dell Latitude E6400 (core 2 duo) with 4G RAM
4. Acer One AO532 netbook with a N450 + 2G RAM

The image booted fine on all 4 machines, so from a machine
compatibility pov this looks good to me.

There were 2 minor issues with machine 2:

1. After the "Welcome to GRUB" text the 3.5" floppy drive
was searched repeatedly before showing the grub bootmenu.
It also took like 5-10 seconds to show the menu.
I guess that grub is using a minimal grub.cfg which is looking
for the actual grub.cfg based on the partition uuid or some such
and it is also checking the floppy drive. I wonder if we can
tweak grub.cfg on the bootmedia to not do this?

2. Booting the kernel once making the selection in the menu
takes forever (I walked away after 1 minute). But it does boot
eventually and I just tried with a Fedora 36 nightly, thus using
syslinux and the same happens. I believe that the USB stack of the
BIOS on this machine simply is terribly slow and reading the
big kernel + ramdisk files one sector at a time. So there is
nothing we can do here. Since this also happens with syslinux
this is not something to worry about.

Regards,

Hans