Hi,

> Initial test with a CD-R and an HP Compaq 8510w are mixed.
> It boots to GRUB, but it spins a long time blinking the HDD light displaying
> nothing but "Welcome to GRUB". It eventually spits out "failure reading
> sector 0x4f838 from 'hd31'."

'hd31' looks strange for HDD as well as for CD-ROM. Do have that many ?

If it's about the CD drive:
0x4f838 = 325688 would be in 2048-byte-block range of boot-grub2-f36.iso
which has 333555 such blocks. The ISO 9660 filesystem data range ends at
328317. The rest is the appended EFI partition.
If GRUB reports in units of 512-byte blocks instead, then the failure would
be at CD-ROM LBA 81422.

You could checkread the CD-R (i assume at /dev/sr0) by

  xorriso -indev /dev/sr0 -check_media --

It is supposed to report something like this run with a DVD+RW:

  Volume id    : 'Fedora-36-x86_64'
  xorriso : UPDATE :      32 blocks read in 3 seconds , 0.0xD
  xorriso : UPDATE :    2912 blocks read in 4 seconds , 4.3xD
  xorriso : UPDATE :    5824 blocks read in 5 seconds , 4.3xD
  xorriso : UPDATE :  329440 blocks read in 103 seconds , 5.5xD
  xorriso : UPDATE :  333216 blocks read in 104 seconds , 5.6xD
  xorriso : UPDATE :  333555 blocks read in 104 seconds = 4.7xD
  Media checks :        lba ,       size , quality
  Media region :          0 ,     333555 , + good
  Media region :     333555 ,    1961549 , 0 untested

Read errors would be reported with their SCSI error codes and block address.
If suspicious periods of low reading speed are noticed, then "Media region"
lines might appear with "quality" value "slow" or even "unreadable".

If you deem the full output interesting enough for an examination, send
it to me in private. I will then post here what i believe to see in it.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas